A walk from the Ezime Guesthouse to the east (past the Club Rubstone) takes you to the sea in about 10 minutes and thus to the area of the old Fort Kongensteen, which Ada Foah owes its name. This fort was built in 1783 by Denmark to protect trade in the Volta region. Walk past the old graveyard with the big stone cross and continue to the Assembly Hall of the administration of the Dangme East District. The last ruins of the former English colonial administration are still to be seen next to a semi-decayed villa with a beautiful terrace.

In 1850 the British bought the fortress from the Danes after their state bankruptcy and extended it into a stately administrative seat. With independence, the building complex became the property of todays Ghana. Locals say the new government has used the buildings as a police station and prison. Probably this was their destiny even before independence. Unfortunately, in recent years, the sea has destroyed all the old buildings near the coast, including the castle and large parts of the road to the next towns. Also a newly built school, which was right next to the remains of the fortress, had to be moved to a safe place in the hinterland.

In 2014 and 2015, the entire sea coast of Ada Foah and the neighbouring fishing villages were secured with international funding. With these complex construction measures, the so-called Sea Defence Project, almost all the evidence of the history of this place has been eliminated.

Go back to the small old cemetery by the sea with its large stone cross, known in the colonial times as the cemetery of the Europeans. The cemetery was also heavily damaged by the long-standing attacks of the sea, but is now secured by the Sea Defence Project. However, the wind still blows quantities of plastic waste from the sea over the dam here. Some gravestones and remains of graves are still visible. There are photos from earlier years showing that, among others, employees of the Basel Mission were buried there (J. J. Weber and Johannes Haas).

Another missionarys tomb (Fritz Delius) is located in the new cemetery on the east side of the Presbyterian Church, built around 1890 a little further inland. Here is also a monument, which reminds the Basel Mission work. Interesting is not only the collaboration of this reformed Scottish church with the German-speaking missionaries, but also the fact that the missionaries translated the spoken Dangme of the local people into a written language which corresponds to their sound system. Thus it is very easy to read for German-speaking visitors, it is as a vocal-based speech anyway very difficult to learn.

Tour offer: Global Island Concept (David Ahadzie) in cooperation with Ada Tourism Stakeholders Association
Contact:+233 24411 5225

- Community history walking tour at 20 GHS per person (Minimum 4 persons). Start: 09:30 am - around 1 hour
- Crocodile sanctuary tour at 20 GHS per person (Minimum 6 persons). Start 11:00 am to 12:30 am - around: 1,5 hours
- Combine both tours for 35 GHS per Person. (Minimum 6 persons)

Tour starting point: Ezime Guesthouse / Roman Junction

Ezime Guesthouse